"Doing a WORLD of Good"


Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Sword of the Spirit – Part 2: Motivations and Action

The word “spirit” comes from a Latin word meaning “breath.” As central to our lives as breathing, Spirit pervades us, gives us purpose, gives our lives meaning. Without it, we are “uninspired” (derived from the same Latin root), and life quickly ceases to be worth the effort.

In our culture (and in many cultures around the world), people have often sought meaning and purpose – life’s “Ultimate” goals – through the acquisition of riches, property, relationships, power, prestige, and fame. There is nothing wrong with any of these things, but to seek the “Ultimate” in them is like bowling in the wrong lane. You may hit a hell of a lot of pins down, but none of them will count.

Actually, it’s like hunting for elk by fishing in the ocean. You may catch a hell of a lot of fish, but if you really want an elk, you’re doing the wrong thing, and looking in the wrong place. To find life’s Ultimate purpose and meaning, you must visit the realm of the Spirit, and cultivate a Spiritual Life.

Sound mysterious? I don’t think it needs to be as mysterious as many have made it out to be. It can be, but it doesn’t have to be. The Spiritual Life for me is nothing more than intentional effort expended toward personal growth, and an ever more profound interdependence with those around me.

Many make this process mystical, dressing it in supernatural phenomena, and it certainly can be pretty dang mysterious. Some make it religious, creating a belief system around this core human reality, and that’s okay too. But I am convinced that free of all unnecessary ornamentation, Spirit is simply a daily practice of Growth and Interdependence.

There are a number of principles that underlie the Spiritual Life. Many see them as “Laws,” and I believe it is healthy to look at them that way. Certainly to defy them frequently has negative consequences.

The list is long, and instructive in and of itself. Humility, Honesty, Willingness, Open-Mindedness, Perseverance, Courage, Wisdom, Love, Compassion, Generosity, Responsibility, Faith, Hope, Surrender – these are but a few of the signposts of spiritual living. I have a list of these qualities that I refer to in times of doubt; just reading the list is inspiring, and seldom fails to remind me of what is Ultimately important in life. Taken together, I can think of no better definition of God.

It is said that we are created in the image of God. that we are in reality spiritual beings having an earthly experience (and not the other way around). If that’s the truth. then I doubt we can do better in life than to direct ourselves toward becoming ever closer to the ideals in that list.

Let’s look at Humility for a moment. Do you think of God as humble? I do. God communicates in the softest of voices, often drowned out by the clamor of our daily lives. And as far as I can tell, God is so free of Ego that God doesn’t even seem to care whether you believe or not – the rain falls on both the believer and non-believer equally. It seems to me that in this realm “phenomena” and “dogma” are meaningless concepts. Nothing appears to matter more than motivations and actions.

Think of the words of Jesus, perhaps the most astounding teacher in history. Speaking about anger, He said, “I’m telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder.” Clearly, in this context, the motivation means even more than the action.

But action is important too. He also says: “Knowing the correct password – saying 'Master, Master' for instance – isn’t going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience – doing what my Father wills.”

These two passages, taken from one of the most breathtaking sermons of all time, the Sermon on the Mount (“The Message” version), have deep spiritual meaning. Your good actions don’t mean anything unless your motivations are pure, and the best of motivations don’t mean anything unless they are accompanied by appropriate action.

You may disagree with my analysis here, and that is certainly your right. But the underlying principles, as near as I can tell, are universal: Treat people as you would have them treat you, and love your concept of “God” with all your heart and soul and mind (in other words, continually seek to grow more like God).

Jesus said that these two commandments sum up the law and the prophets. And I think Mohammed, Moses, Buddha and History's parade of Saints and Enlightened Ones would agree.

So what does this have to do with my business? A reasonable question. Let me answer by saying this: I have taken these two greatest commandments to heart, and any business I participate in must be in alignment with these Ultimate Principles, the “Laws” that govern Life. To understand my process and my mission, you must understand the importance of these Principles to me. In the next entry, I’ll talk about more about Spiritual Growth.

No comments: