"Doing a WORLD of Good"


Friday, August 1, 2008

Sword of the Spirit - Part 4: Pay Bills, Clean the Cat Box

Three aspects of spiritual life are central, based on everything I have read and experienced:
1. As far as I can tell, it almost doesn’t matter exactly what you do as a spiritual practice (although there are frequently common themes). The only thing that matters is that you practice it.

2. Spiritual practice creates Awareness, and Awareness leads to an amazing paradox, in which somehow everything changes, and yet nothing changes.

3. The willingness to yield to this paradox (and the many other paradoxes in life) results in a powerful life full of Humility, and possessing an obvious Maturity. Oh yes, and profound Gratitude comes along for the ride, too!

Actually, the experience of Spiritual Living is far richer and more vivid than these three statements indicate, but all of the beauty and elegance of the spiritual path, at least for me, shakes down to some variant of these three ideas.

Practice, Practice, Practice

The spiritual practices of those in my circle vary considerably, and yet all seem to produce amazing changes. Some worship at conventional churches, some at more liberal fellowships, and some do not participate in conventional worship at all. Some call their experience of the Ultimate Reality “God,” some call it “the Tao,” some call it “Higher Power”, some “Higher Self,” some “Universal Mind,” some call it “Jesus,” some call it nothing at all! – the list goes on. And somehow it all seems to work.

Some of my friends kneel to pray morning and evening – actually putting their shoes under the bed so that they won’t accidentally forget. Some awaken to an “automatic thought” like “I am so grateful for this wonderful day.” Some exercise in the morning, pondering with Gratitude the many blessings in their lives. Some just wake up, drink some coffee, and go to work – often relegating their “spiritual practice” to attending meetings of some kind or helping others. The keys to success seem to lie in intention and motivation.

If I intend through my spiritual practice to grow closer to the ideals of the Principles that operate as laws in this life – that glorious laundry list of Honesty, Open-Mindedness, Willingness, Humility, Perseverance, etc. – I find that my intentions are on track, and I maintain a powerful spiritual connection. (Except when I don’t, which I’ll discuss later.)

If my motivation is to serve something larger than myself, that is, larger than my Self, then I find that my motivations are on track, and I maintain a powerful spiritual connection. (Again, except when I don’t.)

All that seems to matter is that I take action with the intention of Spiritual Growth, and a motivation to serve something larger than my Self. If these elements are in place, it doesn’t appear to matter what the precise actions I take are.

So I have seen people who worship conventionally, go to confessionals, kneel at an altar, and take communion – in this practice they find their spiritual core. Others eschew all religious trappings, choosing to travel to a beautiful spot in nature to contemplate their concept of the Divine by communing with the glory of Creation. This, too, seems to work for some people.

I choose to begin my day with a prayer that means the world to me. It is a Jesuit prayer, and whether I pray it word for word or modify it to suit my mood, I find in this prayer the precise combination of Humilty and Devotion that almost never fail to direct me to my spiritual core:

“Take, Lord, and receive all of my liberty, my intellect, my memory, and all of my will – all that I have and possess. Thou gavest it to me; to Thee, Lord, I return it! All is Thine, dispose of it according to all of Thy will. Give me Thy love and Thy grace; these are enough for me.”

What am I praying to? Honestly, I have no idea. God is a perfect Mystery to me. I call God “Him” because that helps me relate; but as far as I know God has no gender at all. I sometimes picture him as an old man with a gray beard, maybe because I’m an old man with a gray beard, and that, too, helps me relate. Sometimes God takes the form of a flower, mathematically precise in its construction, and yet transcendent in its beauty. Sometimes God takes the form of a stranger that comes to my aid in a moment of need – these might also be called “Angels.” And sometimes, like it or not, God seems to take the form of me, using my hand to comfort another soul in pain. It’s glorious, it’s elegant, it’s often incredibly funny, and it’s far beyond my ability to fathom it. But I hold it in awe, call it “God,” and that’s the One to Whom my prayers are directed.

I can tell you that I take seriously the words of that prayer, every one. As far as I am concerned, I have returned to God for His use whatever is left of the life He has graciously given me. I haven’t always felt that way – I’ve wandered for years in the wilderness – but now and for the rest of my days I want no more out of life than to obey the will of my Creator. That’s good enough for me.

I pray for guidance through the day so that I may know His will, and for the power to carry it out. Nothing else. The more I focus on these two requests, the more my day seems to flow harmoniously. I’m not doing anything mysterious or metaphysical to my knowledge; but somehow this practice does more to draw me toward the Principles and Right Action than anything else I have ever done in my life.

And what is the result? Peace. Serenity. A subtle Joy that persists even when life does not go my way. And that sure beats the hell out of the alternative of meaninglessness and aimless activity, which I have also experienced.

What else happens? Do I become a guru? No. A preacher? No. Am I a monk or a hermit? No. I am simply and profoundly me, the “me” I was always intended to be. I find poise and power in adversity, and courage and persistence in the face of fear. I find a deep, healing well of Humility, a robust Gratitude for the gifts I have been given, Generosity to share them freely, and a Maturity that I know communicates clearly to others.

So what about those times when my practice does not appear to “connect me” the way I "feel" it ought to? What happens when the riverbed is dry, and I am left licking the dry stones for a taste of God? My spiritual guide calls these “dark nights of the soul,” and although unpleasant, they are critical to spiritual growth. They teach us to persist in our practice, even when it doesn’t feel like it’s working. They teach us patience and perseverance, and build our faith powerfully.

I try to remember my own past experience with such crises of doubt, in which the dark night of the soul is always followed by a deeper, more profound relationship with the Divine, one based not on the “fluff” of metaphysical phenomena or the sugary trap of happy feelings, but rather on a growing personal Knowledge of God’s limitless Power and Love.

Honest, all of this is related to my business, I assure you - I'm getting there! In future posts, I will show how all of this practice enlightens the daily grind of paying bills and cleaning the cat box, and absolutely suffuses my mission statement and business plan. Keep watching!

No comments: